Messi was overcome with emotion as he received standing ovations in his final Barcelona press conference, to announce his 21-year association with the club. Barcelona confirmed the six-time Ballon d'Or winner's departure on Thursday night, the same day he returned to Catalonia following his post-Copa America holiday. Messi had traveled to Barcelona to discuss the details of his five-year contract. He confirmed that he would reduce his wages by 50%. Messi stated, "This year, my family was convinced that we would stay at home. That's what we all wanted most than anything." "We had made this our home, it was like a second family. We thought that we would stay here in Barcelona. We have to say good-bye to all this. Joan Laporta, president of Barcelona, blamed Messi’s departure on the previous regime at the club. La Liga spending rules also thwarted any hope of the Argentinian staying here. Messi stated, "I did everything possible, and the club, Laporta couldn't achieve it because of La Liga." "I heard that I wasn't interested in continuing, but I look back on my life and see that we did everything possible because I wanted to remain. "Last year I wasn't interested in staying and I stated it. This year, however, I was determined to stay. We couldn't." He said, "I'm still not ready for this." Truth be told, despite all the gibberish with the burofax I was convinced of the message I wanted. "We never thought that we would be staying in Barcelona. It has been an amazing experience.